Studying Magic Would Be Easier

I spent a few hours the other day working on some visual aids for a classic fantasy game. I’m running two campaigns set in Ravenloft right now and thought that some realistic notes and scrolls would be cool to hand out to players. It turned out that the process took longer than I thought and left me with a lot of mess to clean up. It may have been easier to actually study Arcane and Divine to make scrolls the old fashioned way by magic…

I bleached paper from yellow envelopes, treated brown paper bags with acidic lemon juice, darkened papers for letters with tea and stained ancient scrolls and tomes with coffee. In the end, many of the various papers turned out looking similar, despite the many different types of paper and the myriad of alteration methods that I used.

Scrolls were left to dry rolled up. Some were rolled around paper towel card board tubes, some were rolled from both ends to meet in the middle and others were left to dry more loosely. In the end, the scrolls turned out pretty cool. I’ll have to add a photo of them here soon.

Wax Seals no longer exist in my Ravenloft universe. For some reason all of the wax that I melted would stain the paper or envelopes that I poured wax on to. The wax would not pour out neatly, it would glop all over the place. I wasted many cool looking props by trying to add a neat seal.

I used a bottle of ink and a dip pen to write on some of the papers and scrolls. The ink was not always legible, which added to the feel of documents. Many were not written in any real language, as I more scribbled and created funky looking lettering than anything. When all was said and done, I had a box full of cool looking props. It was a fun, albeit messy process.