A Doctor’s Recollections:
- Dropped off medical supplies for a contact in North Hampshire, the capitol and space port of a border planet, New Luxor (near Santo).
- Noticed at the local pub, The Short Straw, that we were being watched. Alliance men in uniforms appear to have been on duty for a while. I love a man with just a little scruff.
- Went to “Play Doctor” with a friend. He tells me that Lt. D’Lacie is a prick who has been giving everyone a hard time. For some reason Kobayashi Maru’s captain, Xie, keeps interrupting our role-playing. Is it role-playing if I am actually a doctor? I convince my friend to forget to lock my shuttle so that I can escape before the crew gets busted by The Alliance. Apparently they have gotten themselves into trouble. I need to stay off the local radar. Thanked my friend for his patronage.
- The crew has apparently decided to attract the attention of The Alliance on purpose. I think they’re being played by two different internal factions of blue-bellies. How do they get themselves into these situations?
- Despite the fact that I have made it clear to The Captain that all contraband needs to be moved to The Cure, none of the work has been done. Claude and I get to work. I keep thinking to myself, “Damn it, Jim! I’m a doctor, not a fork-lift operator!” Where is he?
- Claude and I flee the planet in The Cure. He’s helping me with my English. It’s pretty boring up here. I write him a prescription for hashish. Then I realize that is not a good idea. The fucking spider keeps staring at our ship. Claude sees a damn bird. Man, he is high. Fortunately a space toad eats the spider. Then later I write Claude a prescription for whiskey and chocolate to be used immediately with his doctor. Shortly thereafter he passes out. I realize that we may be up here for a while, since the crew is bound and determined to get caught. I sedate the chimp to save on oxygen.
- I do some gardening before I realize that I’m also using too much oxygen. Time to shoot up. Hopefully they don’t need me for anything for a while. I keep hearing bits of conversations. Seems like the girls are having fun. Not sure where the engineer has gotten off to.
- Don’t remember much after that. Suddenly Heather is yelling at me to wake the monkey. I briefly wonder if that is a euphemism before I realize she is angry and in a panic. Stab Claude with an adrenaline syringe. Claude is having fun, but he confirms that The Alliance ship that I saw earlier is very real and very close by. We make it out of the system. I think there was an explosion?
- All in all, a good visit. I got paid for my physician’s skills, we ended up with some alliance prisoner on board (that the crew is releasing for some reason), Claude and I bonded a bit and no one got shot this time.